Year: 1937 Price: Sold Documents: Italians Conditions vehicle: Restored
If officially BMW - Bayerische Motoren Werke was founded on July 25, 1917 to build aircraft engines, in fact this company, subsequently converted to the production of train brakes, changed in 1922 and the BMW brand was adopted by Bayerische Flugzeugwerke AG, Whose foundation dates back to March 7, 1916. In 1920, under the control of the Knorr-Bremse railway braking company, BMW also started to produce motorcycles that sell to Victoria, a motorcycle house in Nuremberg. These are engines with a cubic capacity of 500 cm³, with longitudinal boxer bicycling architecture, that is, with the two cylinders arranged horizontally and opposite along the axis of the motion, one forward and the other backwards. The first engine, designed by engineer Martin Stolle, resumes the English Douglas scheme, improved in some of its components and is named BMW M2B15: Equip Victoria KR-I. At the same time, in 1921, the Bayerische Flugzeugwerke, which, like BMW, is based in Munich, starts producing a 143 cm³ slider named Flink on its own and then puts on production a sports bike with the M2B15 engine called Helios. Does not attract Victoria's success. Counting on the fact that the majority shareholder of BMW wants to focus only on the production of brakes and withstand the motorcycle production line, director Franz-Joseph Popp, financed by the majority shareholder of BFW, Triestino Camillo Castiglioni, The motorcycle production of BMW and the brand itself, as well as bringing the chief designer Max Friz and other workers. On June 5, 1922, BFW changed its name to BMW and the official birth date was then fixed to that of the BFW, namely March 7, 1916. Since in the same 1922 Victoria started to mount a valve motor headed Built by Martin Stolle (which has just been set up in the meantime) and to overcome the poor sales of Helios, BMW decides to produce a motorcycle in its own right: for the engine, Max Friz resumes the previous boxer pattern and all the rest of the Vehicle is designed ex-novo. So at the end of 1922 the first BMW brand was introduced and in 1923 the actual production started. The BMW Motorcycle Adventure begins in 1923 (even before the car that will start in 1929) with the production of the first R32 series motorcycle driven by a two-cylinder boxer propeller with cylinders transversely to the axis of the bike. The transmission is a cardan shaft, simply called "a cardano"; This basic architecture will be the forerunner of the technical icon of the motorcycle production of the home and at close range of nearly ninety years is still the one that characterizes most of its production. The R32 is equipped with a 500 cm³ side-by-side, 3-speed manual gearbox, which develops 8.5 hp and allows a maximum speed of 95 km / h. The chassis is rigid behind and has a front forked suspension system swinging on a semiballest pack. Comfort, as in most of the bikes of the time, is mainly entrusted to the springs on which the single-seater seat is mounted. The brake is initially only rear strap, then the front brake on the jaw is also introduced. The reservoir is sub-stationary, ie hooked below the top tube of the frame. The light system is initially optional, while the speedometer is standard. The color available is black with white threads and this will be the only color solution, with rare exceptions, available until 1969 in all BMW production. The motorcycle gained a good commercial success and production expanded in 1925 to the R37, a 500cm³ headlamp motorcycle designed for athletic clientele and competitions, which at that time were mostly performed with regularly scheduled motors. It comes down from a prototype of the R32 valve at the helm made by engineer-pilot Rudolf Schleicher. It will remain an exclusive and highly sought-after bike, as only 152 items were produced. It has a power of 16 hp, almost double the progenitor R32. At the same time, in the same year, the production of a smaller displacement motion, a vertical cylinder single cylinder cylinder of 250 cm³ with its sporting and brilliant performance, is launched, the R39 having a rear brake acting directly on the shaft. The production of the following years seeks to widen the supply of the house: in the twin-cylinder sector there are several models of increasing performance, while maintaining up to the war period a parallel production of side-by-side motorcycles and valve-head movement: these The latter being more powerful and more powerful, because the valves on the head made it possible to shorten the stroke, with consequently higher proportions and a higher compression ratio; Conversely, these models were much more expensive. A first evolution is in 1926, when the models R42 and later the valve version are shown in the head, the R47. In 1928, along with the new 500 cm³ R52 and R57 models, the market's first 750 cm³ engine, also in the dual valve configuration, mounted on the R62 and R63, respectively, is available on the market, with the latter able to develop 24 HP. In fact, the performance of the 750 side valves is similar to those of the 500-valve at the head, but the price is lower and in fact, many more versions of side valve versions are sold, as will be the case for almost all production up to the outbreak Of the war. With these models, the front drum brake is introduced. In recent years, BMW has become a renowned, robust and powerful motorbike builder, but with a high product range and therefore rather elitist, so much so that in 1928 its production is less than 5,000 units, Not much compared to 50,000 and more of the DKW countryman, then the world's largest motorcycle maker, but who built mostly small-size bikes. In 1929, the general economic crisis, which led to the collapse of Wall Street in October, also dropped BMW's actions to the point that Castiglioni was forced to give up on the company's command and, in fact, went into the management of the company heavily by Deutsche Bank. In the same year, the house had introduced the sale of its vehicles, in conjunction with the start of car production at Eisenach. In 1931 it launched the R2 single-cylinder, which with its 6 HP is the least-built BMW, but introduces the use of the drum brake even on the rear wheel. This motorbike resumes an aesthetic concept introduced already in 1929 with 750 cm³ R11 and R16 models. In fact, the chassis is made of pressed steel sheet and the tank is inserted between the two upper chassis longitudes. This setting continues with the subsequent models R12 and R17 (of 1935), which have very different destiny. While the second is produced in just over 400 specimens and remains in production for only two years, the R12 is widely exploited by the army and is produced by over 36,000 specimens, most of which in the military version, up to the middle of the Second War world. They have a 4-speed gearbox, already introduced in a single cylinder model and the fork front is telescopically oil-cushioned, the first in the world of this type. Apart from this and little else, the R17 is a simple evolution of the R16, from whose third series it takes the 33 hp engine to push the bike at 140 km / h of speed. In 1936, with the 500 cm³ R5 model, BMW again puts forward a sporty model with a more modern aesthetic appeal, thanks in particular to the return to the tubular frame and the tank secured above the top tube of the chassis. Motorcycles around the world. It is flanked by the R6 to side valves, the first BMW with a 600 cm³ engine. These are the first models with a pedal controlled gearbox.
Questo sito utilizza i cookie per fornire la migliore esperienza di navigazione possibile. Continuando a utilizzare questo sito senza modificare le impostazioni dei cookie o cliccando su "Accetta" permetti il loro utilizzo.